- An inventory should list every item in a property. This should include all fixtures and fittings, ceilings, walls, skirting and floors.
- A garden should be described, and the condition noted.
- A full schedule of condition should be recorded against all items. An item is assumed to be in good order unless stated otherwise in the schedule of condition.
- An inventory should state whether items meet legal requirements.
- The presence of a gas safety certificate and energy performance certificate should be noted.
- Smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are good practice and their presence should be recorded.
- Meters should be located and read.
- A photographic record should support the inventory. All photographs must be dated.
Inventories are in support of all interested parties. The inventory, check-in and check-out reports create a clear audit trail.